Thursday, May 31, 2007

May Ends Well

The LOST season finale was quite good...who would have thunk it possible? Lots of great moments: Jake beating the crap out of Ben, Sawyer blowing away Mr. Friendly and Hurley mowing a guy down with the van. Yes all very violent, but pretty cool none the less.

The flash forward, as it was revealed to be, was kind of cool but I'm not sure I want that happening all next season. I say this because the producers have said that next season the format will be changing....hummmm. By showing us the ending and then how everything got to that point....eh...an episode or two maybe but not the whole season.

Charlie finally died after all the teasing. While he could have most likely made it out the door, sealing the flooding compartment, I think Charlie realized that death was calling, either then or later. Desmond told him episodes before that no matter what he did, Charlie was gonna die, so he and us, knew it was coming. I think the little hobbit decided to go out a hero rather than get an arrow in the neck or step on a poisonous sea urchin. Sniff...bye Charlie.

The only major problem I had with the finale is the pirate that will not die. This guy has been zapped by the sonic fence and now shot in the chest with a spear gun and somehow he survives. I don't care how fast the island may regenerate you, yanking a shark spear out of your chest is gonna leave a mess and a big hole. I can only hope that exploding a grenade at point blank range was enough to do him in or else maybe his pirate chunks will reform like Voltron.

**SPOILERS AHEAD ME HEARTIES**

POTC: At World's End...me likey. COTBB is still the best of the series, but I thought this third and possibly last movie was a lot of fun. Jack was crazy again, Barbossa was awesome and the tone of the film, while serious at times, had the whimsical sense of adventure as the first film.

People have complained that the story is too complex and too hard to follow, but honestly I had no problem keeping up. Some of the backstabbing, double crosses came a little quick at times, but I like the fact that these movies make you pay attention. Yes you may miss stuff the first go around, I know I did on the first two films, but its fun to discover the stuff you may have missed on future viewings. It's kinda like watching LOST...but with no polar bears.

Case in point: the locket that both Tia Dalma and Davey Jones have. There is shot in the 2nd film when they go to see the voodoo lady and Jack is busy stealing things. He reaches down and takes a ring off the table and that locket is sitting there. Very subtle but kinda cool.

A couple things could have been tweaked like the wedding sequence; I thought it should have happened quicker given the current situation....do you, do you...fine your married. The Attack of the 50 Foot Tia Dalma was....weird. I was expecting her to turn into a mystical, translucent...something. What she was yelling..who knows...but I read on a forum that someone thought she was screaming "I want Cracker Barrel!!" which made me laugh.

If you stayed for the credits, and by now you should know there is always something after the credits, you saw the 10 years later bit with Will returning to Port Royal to find Elizabeth and son waiting for him. In the theater I figured that the flash of green indicated his return to the living for one day, however reading some stuff on the forums at the site of writers Ted and Terry I discovered that is not correct.

They say that since Will returns home and Elizabeth has stayed true, the curse is broken and he is free to go ashore whenever. The flash of green indicated his return to the mortal world. They also mention that it is a little difficult to get this given the current cut of the film, but if you listen to when they talk of the green flash, its said that it indicates a soul returning to the mortal world. Like what happened when Jack returned.

Anyways there was a lot I liked about the movie like Jack ending up in a dingy just as he was at the start of COTBB. I also liked how Will sort of acted like Jack when he had his meeting with Jones and Beckett. Sad to see Norrington bite it...I like that actor. Some stuff could have been better and there were some missed opportunities; I still want to know what mark Sparrow left on Beckett. But overall I enjoyed it and my pea size bladder made it through the whole thing...go pea bladder!

I will admit I was a little depressed later in the day though. The thought that there may not be more movies kind of bummed me out. I love the characters and the world they inhabit and would love to revisit it every couple years, sort of how the Harry Potter movies have rolled out. At least one more sequel is assured but will it happen soon or be another Indiana Jones and the 19 Years Since My Last Movie....guess we will have to see.

To complete my May, we went to the new Red Robin that opened near our house where I enjoyed a Whisker River BBQ Chicken Burger and Chocolate Shake, for the first time in a long time.

P.S. Heroes....I'm still not pleased.

No comments: